Rivers State Government to commission the multi-million Naira Scrap Metals Recycling Plant (Riv-Metals) located at Kira in Tai Local Government Area of the State. Addressing newsmen shortly after inspecting the facility, the Commissioner for Environment, Prof. Roseline Konya expressed displeasure at the abandonment of the plant which she is capable of providing a lot of direct jobs and other empowerment opportunities for artisans, entrepreneurs and industrialists.
She expressed dismay at the failure of the past administration to provide sustainable source of electricity to power the facility even after substantial amount of taxpayers money had been evidently sunk into the facility in an attempt to hook up the facility to the national grid but to no avail.
Prof. Konya who described the project as one of her numerous ingenious contributions to the people of the state during her first appointment as Commissioner for Environment, vowed never to let the idea rot in vain and called on the Contractors and Consultants to join hands with the Ministry to get the plant back on stream in no distant time.
Speaking on behalf of the Partners (Joe and Roy), Mr. Joe Oyibo expressed confidence in the ability of the Commissioner to deliver on her words, describing her as a woman of integrity and honour who will never go back on her words.
According to him, Prof. Konya’s arrival as Commissioner for Environment is very timely and good enough to save the plant which was on the verge of possible disintegration and vandalism thanked the Commissioner for her visit.
Mr. Oyibo also said Rivers State Government has 80% equity in the Scrap Metals Recycling plant while the remaining 20% belongs to the partners (Joe and Roy). The project has been completed and had undergone some test runs but could not be commissioned in the last administration due to some inexplicable circumstances.